- 10 day quarantine from start of symptoms if no Covid testing performed and no physician visit and resolution of symptoms.
- Physician statement that the symptoms are due to an illness other than Covid. Follow any exclusion guideline for the diagnosed condition.
- Negative Covid test and no fever for 24 hours without fever reducing medication. Must present a copy of the Covid test result.
If a student or staff member tests positive for COVID-19
Students and staff members who test positive for COVID-19 will be required to notify the school nurse and isolate at home until the following criteria are met:
- Ten (10) days have passed since symptoms started or from day of testing if asymptomatic
- On day 10, must have had no fever for 24 hours without taking fever reducing medication
- Overall improvement of symptoms
- May return on day 11 if all criteria are met
If a student or staff member is exposed (close contact) to a COVID-19 positive person at school or outside the home...
Anyone within 6 feet of a Covid positive adult, regardless of mask wear, is considered a close contact and must quarantine, if the contact was 15 minutes or more, cumulative, within a 24 hour period.
- Close contacts must quarantine at home for 14 days from the last day of contact with the COVID-19 positive person
Close contacts may be eligible for an early return to school/work if the following is met:
- Return on day 11 without testing and without any symptoms during the 10 days. Must present a note stating no symptoms during the 10 days quarantine.
- Obtain a Covid test no earlier than day 5, have a negative result and no symptoms, may return on day 8. Must present a copy of the Covid test result.
- DHEC recommends for any person returning early from quarantine to wear a mask and socially distance for the remainder of the 14 day period. The person must also monitor for any symptoms of Covid during this time and obtain a Covid test if symptoms appear.
Any student or staff who has been positive for Covid within the past 90 days of exposure to a positive person does not need to quarantine if considered a close contact.
Any student or staff who has been vaccinated for Covid will not need to quarantine if considered a close contact.
If a student or staff member lives in the same household as a COVID-19 positive person who test positive for COVID-19 they should:
- Notify the school nurse of the positive person in the home
- Quarantine in the home for 24 days from the first day of the positive person’s symptoms or from the test date of the positive person if they are asymptomatic.
- May return on day 21 without testing and with no symptoms during the 20 days of quarantine. A note must be given to the school nurse stating that there were no symptoms during the 20 day quarantine period.
- May test no earlier than day 15, receive a negative Covid test result, have no symptoms during the quarantine, then may return on day 18. A copy of the negative test result must be submitted to the school nurse.
- If the positive person can isolate outside the home or if the contacts inside the home can quarantine totally away from the positive person, then treat the exposure as an out of home close contact and follow the guidelines for quarantine of close contact outside the home.
- DHEC recommends anyone returning early from quarantine to wear a mask, socially distance and monitor for any COVID-19 symptoms for the remainder of the quarantine period not served.