Health Services » Medication Guidelines

Medication Guidelines

  1. Prescription medications, including over-the-counter medication prescribed by an authorized licensed provider, will be given at school only when prescribed by an authorized licensed provider and with signed parental consent. The signed permission must be kept on file with the School Nurse and is valid for the period specified on the form or expires at the end of the current school year.
  2. A parent/guardian must bring the medication to the School Nurse in the original container with the prescription label attached. Students are not allowed to transport medicine to or from school. If you anticipate your child needing to take medicine at school, you may ask your pharmacist for two prescription bottles.
  3. Please note that DHEC regulations prohibit the schools from keeping more than a thirty-day supply of medication at a time. Please plan to provide a one month supply and plan re-fills accordingly.
  4. Asthma inhalers will be kept in the school health room. The inhaler must be brought to the School Nurse in the manufacturer’s box with the prescription label attached. The student will be allowed to use the inhaler, with nurse supervision, as instructed by the authorized licensed provider. If other arrangements are needed please contact the School Nurse.
  5. All emergency medications: insulin, glucagon, epinephrine auto-injectors, etc., will need to be arranged through the School Nurse.
  6. The school will stock a limited supply of over-the-counter medications that may be administered, by the School Nurse, to students with written parental consent. The parent/guardian must, on an annual basis, designate permission for each medication on the registration Health Form. Parents/guardians will be responsible for providing any needed over-the-counter medications, with written consent, not provided by the School District.
  7.  Over-the-counter medications may only be given as recommended by the manufacturer on the label and/or package insert. Any request for a medication dosage that exceeds this recommendation must be submitted with a written order from the child’s authorized licensed provider.

  8. Herbal medicines, food supplements, alternative medicinal products and other items that do not have FDA approval require a written order from an authorized licensed provider.
  9. Each school maintains epinephrine auto-injectors in junior and adult strengths. School Nurses and other designated personnel may administer an epinephrine auto-injector to a student or other individual on school premises who is experiencing anaphylaxis.